Announcements and Weekly E-Mail Archive
August 26 - September 1
- TUTORING AVAILABLE & TUTORS NEEDED
- UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANT ~ JOB OPENING
- PRE-HEALTH INFORMATION from Paul Crosby …
- I AM SCRIBE POSITIONS ~ CARONDELET HEALTH IN KANSAS CITY
You can request to enroll in an Academic Achievement & Access Center tutoring group for a course at http://www.tutoring.ku.edu. The AAAC also has information about some other tutoring resources at http://www.tutoring.ku.edu/resources/, and about applying to become a tutor for them at http://www.tutoring.ku.edu/about/tutors.shtml.
General strategies for academic success posted at http://www.medadvising.ku.edu/academicsuccess.shtml.↑ Back to Announcements
- Number of openings: up to 2
- Job open date: August 24, 2011
- Application deadline/initial review date: September 2, 2011
- Start date: September 12, 2011
- Position full or part-time: part-time volunteer basis (8-15 h/week)
- Washing glassware
- Making solutions
- Maintaining lab supplies
- Organizing the laboratory
- Assisting with laboratory research projects
- Required qualifications:
1) Pursuing undergraduate degree in microbiology, cell biology, genetics, or biochemistry
2) Completed at least two scientific lab courses while an undergraduate student
3) Good organizational skills
4) GPA of 3.2 or better
- Preferred qualifications:
1) Good intercommunication skills
2) Previous experience in the medical field
3) Previous experience in microbiology
- Cover letter, resume with references, and ARTS form
Send application documents to: Jayhawk_URA@yahoo.com
Hospice Volunteering Opportunity in Topeka
At Grace Hospice we utilize our caring team of volunteers to enhance the lives of hospice patients and their families. We are looking for additional volunteers to help read to our patients, tell them stories, be there to listen, or simply hold a hand. This is a great experience for student going into the medical profession. If you are interested please contact Kristin Roth at (785) 228-0400.
Applicants – Personal Comments Essay Tips
Paul has posted some tips for writing personal statements at http://www.medadvising.ku.edu/essaytips.shtml, including:
Your statement should show who you are, and how and why you've prepared yourself to become a member of this profession. You'll have other places in your application to list courses, grades, test scores, volunteer and paid experiences, extracurricular activities, awards and honors, etc. Whatever format you choose, do:
- Show with true stories.
- Provide details, examples and explanations.
- Go deeper than just wanting to help people with science.
- Avoid overusing "I," "that," "the," or other words.
Paul is willing to review a later draft of your statement with you in-person or by phone, but NOT by e-mail. To schedule an appointment, you can call (785) 864-3500 (M-F, 8-5). The person who answers the phone will find a time that works.
Wichita State University Physician Assistant Information Session, 9/15/11, 11/10/11, 12/3/11, 2/2/12, 2/25/12 and 4/15/12, registration required
- Thursday September 15, 2011 EVENING 6:00-7:30 pm
- Thursday November 10, 2011 EVENING 6:00-7:30
- Saturday December 3, 2011 MORNING 10:00-11:00
- Thursday February 2, 2012 EVENING 6:00-7:30
- Saturday February 25, 2012 MORNING 10:00-11:30
- Thursday April 5, 2012 EVENING 6:00-7:30
[If you're interested in becoming a PA, I've posted some related info and links at http://www.medadvising.ku.edu/pa/. Paul]
KU School of Medicine Open House, 10/6 (Salina), registration required
"The University of Kansas invites you to the KU Medical Center to attend an open house to learn more about the School of Medicine. All open house programs begin at 2:30 pm. If you plan to attend, please arrive promptly.
This event provides prospective medical students with information about preparation for medical school, the application procedure, a question-and-answer forum, and a walking tour of the Medical Center. In addition, a panel of medical students will be available to answer your questions.
The School of Medicine would also like to invite you to attend an open house at our Salina campus. Please register for one of the event dates below. The time frame and agenda for each event will be the same as above. Other logistics will be emailed to those who have registered.
- Thursday, October 6 (Salina)
There is no fee to attend, but advanced registration is required. You may register on-line or by calling 913.588.5280. Registration is limited to 60. Prior to the Open House, a confirmation letter and campus map will be emailed to you."↑ Back to Announcements
Observe and learn firsthand the "ins and outs" of being in emergency medicine as a PhysAssist Scribe! We are now interviewing for Medical Scribe positions at Carondelet Health! We work around your current school schedule. If you are a recent grad, or graduating soon there is no better opportunity then to work as a PhysAssist Scribe!
As a PhysAssist Scribe you will:
-Be at the top of your class with medical/PA/BSN school knowledge and receive valuable school recommendations
-Work side by side with physicians in the emergency department
-Generate life-long friendships with peers and those with similar interests
-Transcribe and understand patient history, physical exams, and diagnosis
-Become proficient in interpreting lab results and reading x-rays
-AND MUCH MORE!
APPLY NOW: http://www.tfaforms.com/171193
We look forward to receiving your application! Please visit our website at http://www.iamscribe.com/scribe/faq for further information.↑ Back to Announcements
Diversity ProgramsOffice for Diversity in Science Training
KU Haskell Bridge Project
Related LinksBioinformatics Facility
Clinical Laboratory Sciences
Kansas Biological Survey
KU Biodiversity Institute
KU Natural History Museum
Teaching Resource Center
University of Kansas - Edwards Campus
Support ServicesBiosciences Helpdesk
Policies and ProceduresEnvironment, Health and Safety
Position AnnouncementsMolecular Biosciences
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology